Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Half Square Medallion



Yesterday's work began with only a dozen seams to sew to complete a project. Then I noticed an area where two little blocks were oriented incorrectly. fixing that required ripping open five seams and restitching them all with the blocks oriented properly.

At the end of the day there were still four seams to complete - each at this point being eighty plus inches long, so no small task. I did think ahead to block the top (make sure it was square) while it still fits on the design wall...

Today I look and there is an area that is rippled and needs attention. It is not horrid, but if I ignore it and put the final borders on it will not be better. Perhaps it can be quilted out, but why go through that when I can spend another day ripping things out and fiddling? YEAH!

So begins the task for today... fixing one tiny area in hopes it is all worth it in the end.


Just some background. This piece was started at UnCommon Threads Quilt Guild retreat in November on 2009. I wanted to add borders, but kept trying things -- nothing seemed to suit. Until recently I turned the whole thing on an angle (making the center diamond) and it works! I thought sewing the corners and subsequent borders would take a day. Three later I hope to finish today.

Then on to the task of quilting...



No comments: